This weekend, I was inspired by good friend and fellow health coach at Simply Living Healthy Today to make a quiche, but I wanted to add a crust. (Hello, carb queen!) Thus, this plantain-crusted quiche was born! And it was DELICIOUS.
What you need:
1 Plantain (the greener the better)
1 cup chopped spinach
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1 TB coconut oil
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Peel plantain and slice into several pieces lengthwise (try for 5).
3. Heat up a pan over medium-high heat and add coconut oil (save a little for greasing the pie pan.) Add plantains to pan and cook them for about 4 minutes each side.
4. Add about 2 tbsp of water to the pan, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Let cook for an additional 5 minutes, until soft.
5. Grease a 9″ round pie pan with coconut oil and arrange the plantain strips along the bottom of the pan to form a crust.
6. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together. Add mushrooms, spinach and cheese.
7. Pour egg mixture over plantains in the pan. Top with pinch of salt and pepper and place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the top of the quiche is cooked and no longer runny.
8. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut into 4 pieces and enjoy!